Home made potato chips - uhmmm, I've been trying to make them for years, but they always end up greasy and oily until I saw these easy directions on how to make them. The key is to dry them off before baking them and of course, having the right temperature in the oven.
These chips will be delicious but instead of being curled like you get chips you get out of a bag of Lays, they will be flat.
Stage II using red potatoes only.
1. set oven temperature about 420 degrees F.
2. finely slice one or two potatoes (1/16" thick). It's up to you as to whether you peel them or not. I use a slicer like shown on the left.
3. brush rice bran oil on the bottom of a cookie bake sheet or baking pan. Coat lightly - do not use aluminum baking sheets.
4. dry each slice of potato with a paper towel and place them one by one onto the cookie sheet. Do not overlap them.
5. Lightly salt to your taste. You can also flavor with garlic or any spice you desire.
6. place in oven for 10 minutes.
7. remove from oven and flip each slice over.
8. place back in oven for another 6 minutes.
9.. turn off oven and turn on broiler for two minutes to brown them. keep an eye on them to make sure you don't burn the chips.